- Shopping – ANYONE from ANYWHERE can come get prepacked To-Go bags at our Drive-Thru Food Shelf during the shopping hours listed above. These can be picked up weekly or as needed (no appointment needed). Also, neighbors are experiencing longer wait times in the first 30 minutes the drive-thru is open. The Food Shelf strongly encourages people to come later to help decrease wait times. We have plenty of food and we look forward to serving our community!
- Delivery of Food – If you are unable to get to the Food Shelf, there are options for delivery of food in our area:
– Washington County Food Support Line – if you need assistance and live in Washington County, call 651-430-6688.
– Metro Mobility – current riders may contact them for delivery at 651-602-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donations – We encourage people if they are able to give financially to do so. You can either DONATE ONLINE or through the mail. For every $1 donated the Food Shelf is able to purchase $8 in healthy groceries for families struggling to make ends meet. During this time, financial donations are the best way to help our neighbors in need! In order to maintain social distancing for all, we asking that all food and garden donations be placed in the Donation Bin in our parking lot. Please bring these items Monday through Friday only.
The White Bear Area Emergency Food Shelf has served as a critical resource for families experiencing food insecurity since 1977. Providing food and support to over 1,200 families each month, we work toward eliminating barriers that have traditionally limited access to healthy food for families living on a low or fixed income. Our vision is to end food insecurity in the White Bear Area.
Who We Serve
We provide food and support to neighbors who live within or attend the White Bear Area School District and self-identify a need for food. Our Bonus Saturday program is open to anyone in need of food regardless of geographic boundaries.
What We Do
Neighbors meet initially with a community resource volunteer who conducts a brief assessment, provides referral connections to other community resources, and assists with additional support as needed. During a monthly shopping visit neighbors have access to their choice of milk, eggs, meat, pasta, rice, fresh and frozen produce and a variety of other dry goods. In addition to monthly shopping, neighbors may participate in Bonus Saturday, a weekly produce pick-up program. Other programs include weekend KID Packs, Mobile Markets, Free Farmer’s Markets (seasonal), School Food Pantries, Community Resource Program, and a Family Stability Emergency Fund.
In recent years, the White Bear Area Emergency Food Shelf has expanded our services and strengthened our strategies to meet the changing needs of our community. We currently have a staff of 5.5 FTE and over 300 active volunteers.
How you can help
We rely on generous donors like you to advance our mission of providing food and support to our neighbors in need. $1 donated will purchase $8 in healthy groceries for families struggling to make ends meet. You can support your local food shelf through volunteer opportunities, sponsoring a food drive, and/or making an online donation today!