Emergency Program Assistant (2 temporary positions) –
The White Bear Area Emergency Food Shelf (WBAEFS) has served as a critical resource for families experiencing food insecurity since 1977. Our mission is to provide food and support to our neighbors in need in partnership with the communities of the White Bear Area. Over the past four decades, the organization has grown and improved its traditional food shelf programming in addition to creating new and innovative services to better meet the needs of families struggling to make ends meet. Our vision is to end food insecurity in the White Bear Area.
The Emergency Program Assistant provides support and assistance to the Food Shelf’s drive-thru, market, and mobile programs during a crucial time due to COVID-19. This role will specifically address gaps in staffing for the warehouse, food rescue, and volunteer management.
Part-time, Non-Exempt (20-25 hours), Temporary (August thru December)
- Daily helps receive food rescue, deliveries, and stocking of market
- Assists in the preparation of the Drive-Thru/Market by sorting food, packing bags, and setting up tents and tables
- On a rotational basis, provides guidance and leadership to drive-thru volunteers and other volunteer groups
- Occasionally assists with Mobile Markets and Free Farmers Markets
Flexible schedule required. Typically Monday-Friday | One to two evenings a week
- Strong commitment to the mission of the White Bear Area Emergency Food Shelf in our drive to provide healthy, choice-based experiences for all neighbors struggling with food insecurity
- A team player that embodies three virtues: humility, hunger, and people smarts
- Capacity to meet the daily challenges of a physically demanding position (e.g. repeated lifting of over 50 pounds, on your feet majority of the day, pallet jack operation, maneuvering of heavily loaded carts)
- Dynamic individual who thrives in high-energy settings that call for flexibility and on-your-feet problem solving
- Person of high integrity who can successfully communicate and receive ideas, questions, and challenges in a highly team-based work environment
- Enjoys working with many types of people and serving a diverse community
- Strong work ethic, takes initiative, self-directed
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Work includes operating in all kinds of weather
- One to two years of nonprofit, warehouse, grocery store, or retail experience
- Bilingual – English and Spanish preferred
Submit resume and cover letter to Perry Petersen, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 3, 2020.